You will need a piece of silicon or nylon tubing with which to make your straw phonation in water device. Here are some suggestions:
How to Make Your Straw Phonation in Water Device
At it's simplest, you put a short length of flexible silicone or vinyl tubing into a standard water bottle. You fill the bottle with only a small amount of water. You vocalize through the tube and into the water. Easy peasy.
- tube length: 14" to 17", or 35cm to 45cm.
- tube diameter: mine has an outside diameter (OD) of 3/8" (10mm) and an inside diameter (ID) of 5/16" (8mm). It's okay to use tubing slightly larger or small.
- water height: about 1 1/2" to 3" (4cm to 7cm), with the sweet spot about 2" (5cm). You can vary the water height for different training objectives.
Where to Find Your Silicone Tubing
I found mine at a local hardware store. They had rolls of it and you pay by length. It was cheap. It will last a long, long time.
I live in Brazil and haven't purchased silicone tubing from Amazon. I did search Amazon and if you copy and paste these phrases below, several good options will turn up.
Possible Search Phrases to use at places like Amazon.com:
- silicon tubing 8mm by 10mm
- silicon tubing 5/16" ID 3/8" OD
It's okay to buy more than you need. They're inexpensive. I keep one in the car and one in the house. I've built them for friends. They make great presents.